Re-closing the eastern entrance of Ein Yabrud
Violation: sealing of a village entrance
Location: Ein Yabrud- Ramallah
Date: November 30, 2015
Perpetrators: the Israeli occupation forces
Victims: residents of the village
Israeli occupation authorities closed on November 30, 2015 the eastern entrance of Ein Yabrud village, which is adjacent to the bypass road number 60 on the claim of security purposes.
It should be marked that re-closing the entrance is considered a collective punishment on the residents of the village and others in the neighboring villages as well. This will increase the cost of moving back and forth Ramallah and the physical fatigue travelers endure. Noteworthy, the closed entrance is located nearby Ofra colony and colonists pressure hard on the occupation army to entirely close the entrance on the claim of “colonists’ security”.
Noteworthy, the roadentrance was closed since 2000 to be re-opened for a short period of time in 2012. After that, the road was closed by a metal gate.
The village is located 13km to the northeast of Ramallah city. It has a total land area of 11, 401 dunums; of which 1394 dunums were confiscated by Israel for the favor of Ofra colony. Ein Yabrud is inhabited by 2819 people (PCBS, 2007), most of whom work in the agricultural sector.
International conventions and laws regarding freedom of movement which Israel unabatedly violates:
- Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person”.
- Article 5: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”.
- Article 9: “No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile”.
- Article 13: Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
- Article 7 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. In particular, no one shall be subjected without his free consent to medical or scientific experimentation.”
- Article 9: “Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprived of his liberty except on such grounds and in accordance with such procedure as are established by law.