Israeli Occupation Forces seal off the entrance of Yasuf village in Salfit
- Violation: closure on main entrance
- Location: Yasuf village- Salfit
- Date: August 06, 2016
- Perpetrators: Israeli Occupation Forces
- Victims: residents of Yasuf
Israeli Occupation Forces closed on August 06, 2016 the northern entrance of Yasuf village, east Salfit governorate via earth mounds. Noteworthy, the entrance is founded nearby Tapuah colony and the bypass road no. 60.
The occupation justified the closure on the claim of "security purposes". It should be marked that the road is considered the linking point between Yasuf and the Palestinian villages founded east of Nablus city. It also links Salfit to Nablus city and the neighboring areas. As a result, economy of the area will be badly shaken and stroke. Not only, travelers will be forced to take a route that is of longer distance and of more fatigue to reach their daily destinations.
It should be marked that the northern entrance of Yasuf dates back to hundred years ago; it used to be the route for people traveling from the central part of the West Bank to the northern one. Now, the road is in hands of Israelis, who harass people and impose collective punishment on them through closing this entrance at anytime they want.
It is 16km south of Nablus. Yasuf is surrounded by Huwara and Jamma'in (north), Marda (west), Yatma (east), and Iskaka (south). Yasuf is inhabited by 2090 people (according to 2013 projections). It has a total area of 6037 dunums, 330 of which are built-up area of the village.
The Israeli occupation confiscated 814 dunums for these two colonies: Kfar Tapuah colony which was built on Yasuf lands in 1978. The colony is inhabited by 523 colonists and Rachelim- Shvut that was built in 1991 and devoured 10 dunums.
Besides, the bypass road number 508 confiscated more than 155 dunums of the village lands.
According to Oslo Accords, only 1427 dunums of Yasuf lands are under Area B (PA is in charge of civil matters with Israel responsible for security) while most of Yasuf is under Area C (Israel maintains full security and administrative control). About of 4609 dunums of Yasuf is in area C.
International conventions and laws regarding freedom of movement which Israel unabatedly violates:
- Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person”.
- Article 5: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”.
- Article 9: “No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile”.
- Article 13: Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
- Article 7 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. In particular, no one shall be subjected without his free consent to medical or scientific experimentation.”
- Article 9: “Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprived of his liberty except on such grounds and in accordance with such procedure as are established by law.
The Land Research Center