Israeli Occupation Forces keep on closing Hizma town entrance
- Violation: keeping Hizma's entrance closed
- Location: northeast Jerusalem
- Date: August 2016
- Perpetrators: Israeli Occupation Forces
- Victims: residents of Hizma town
Israeli Occupation Forces keeps on sealing of the entrances of Hizma town; more specifically the eastern and the western ones. Closure is maintained through cement and road blocks that hinder the movement of the town's residents.
In the evening of August 02, 2016, a massive force from the Israeli occupation army raided Hizma town and obliged shops owners to close while another unit of the army sealed off the western and eastern entrances of the town via road blocks. As a result, 9000 people got isolated from their Palestinian periphery.
It should be marked that such closure occurred many times during the past couple of months as a collective punishment on the residents of the town to strike their economic status.
Noteworthy, one of the distinguished closure occurred during May and lasted for two continuous weeks. The closure was enforced via road blocks and earth mounds. Such closures are implemented on the claim of "Security Purposes".
Photo 1: the western entrance of Hizma town closed via road blocks
It is 8km to the northeast of Jerusalem; it populates 9256 people on a built-up area of 1000 dunums out of its 18000 dunums total land area. According to Oslo lands classification of 1993, a small part of the village's area — the built-up area– is classified as area "B" that is under Palestinian control where the rest is classified "C" that is administratively run by the occupation municipality of Jerusalem .
The occupation confiscated 2500 dunums of Hizma for the expansion of various colonies namely ( Pisgat Zev, Pisgat Amir, Adam and Nevi Yaacov). It should be marked that the apartheid wall travels 4km on the lands of Hizma town, isolating 40% of the village's total area behind its construction.
Noteworthy, closures on the town have been applied on the town ever since the first intifada of 2000. Such measure was meant as a collective punishment on the town's residents.
International conventions and laws regarding freedom of movement which Israel unabatedly violates:
- Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person”.
- Article 5: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”.
- Article 9: “No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile”.
- Article 13: Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
- Article 7 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. In particular, no one shall be subjected without his free consent to medical or scientific experimentation.”
- Article 9: “Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprived of his liberty except
The Land Research Center