The Israeli occupation seal off two roads in Ramallah
- Violation: closing two main roads in Ramallah
- Location: West and east Ramallah city
- Date: January 27, 2016
- Perpetrators: Israeli Occupation Forces
The policy of roads closures is Israel's collective punishment on Palestinians, which contradicts with and violate all humanitarian laws and international conventions. The occupation, through this policy, aims at disconnecting Palestinian villages and towns and limiting civilians' movement to strike the economy in general and life in particular.
It should be marked that the occupation forces closed on January 27, 2016 two major roads in Ramallah governorate on the claim of "security purposes"
1. Closure on Wad Al-Dilb road:
It is reported that a massive force from the occupation forces sealed off the road known as "Wad Al-Dilb", west Ras Karkar village. The road is adjacent to the colonies of Dolev and Talmon and is a linking point between Ramallah city and many villages namely (Ras Karkar, Al-Janyeh, Deir Ammar, Beitillu, Jammala, Bil'in, Kharbatha Bani Harith and Deir Qidees ). The closure was made via earth mounds and road blocks .
Photo 1: the closed road of Wad Al-Dilb
Aerial photo illustrating the closure
2. Closure on the entrance of Beit Aur Al-Fauqa:
It should be marked that the Israeli Occupation Forces also closed the entrance of Beit Aur village, west Ramallah city by road blocks. Noteworthy, the entrance is close to the military checkpoint that leads to the bypass road number 443.
The closed road is reported to be a linking point between Ramallah city and many villages and towns namely (Beit Aur Al-Fauqa, Beit Aur Al-Tahta, Kharbatha Al-Misbah, Beit Sira, Beit Nuba and Beit Liqya).
As a result, residents' movement and villages connections got firmly restricted, especially after closing the bypass road number 443, taken into account that this road is the only route left for the villages' residents to reach Ramallah through.
An aerial photo illustrating the closure location
International conventions and laws regarding freedom of movement which Israel unabatedly violates:
- Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights: “Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person”.
- Article 5: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”.
- Article 9: “No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile”.
- Article 13: Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
- Article 7 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. In particular, no one shall be subjected without his free consent to medical or scientific experimentation.”
- Article 9: “Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprived of his liberty except on such grounds and in accordance with such procedure as are established by law.
The Land Research Center